CRIMEAN CANNONS - WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
Dumbarton Prison and County Buildings
Dumbarton Prison - entrance portico. This is the building's entrance, preserved in its original location. Visible above the doorway is the elephant-and-castle symbol that appears in Dumbarton's coat of arms. Just left of the doorway, a plaque can be seen; this gives a brief account of the history of the prison.
The prison was opened in the rowdy
aftermath of the Napoleonic Wars. The
last execution took place here in 1875, and
after the prison closed in 1883 the building
became a Council records store, before lying
derelict until demolition in 1973. A portico,
Coat of Arms and two cell windows remain
in the existing wall. Dumbarton Prison was built in conjunction with the neighbouring County Buildings, which presently serve for the Sheriff Court and Justice of the Peace Court. The County Buildings had their foundation stone laid in July 1824, with work continuing until 1826.
A large-scale Town Map of Dumbarton from 1859 shows the County Buildings before enlargement. As the map sheet shows, a cannon (a "Russian trophy", presumably from the Crimean War) was then present in front of the building.
The above shows the location of the Russian cannon on the right. We have not yet been able to ascertain the fate of this cannon.
THE FEATURES PRESENT
Crimean Cannon Location, past or present